Sunday, December 30, 2012

And we're off!

Doug got us on a flight to Santiago tonight (American opened up some frequent flyer seats in business class, woot!) and since we're ready anyway, we're leaving a day early.

In a couple of hours we'll drive the rental car to Dallas and then hang out at DFW until our flight to Santiago leaves around 9:00 tonight. So now we'll be ringing in the New Year on our big trip!

Michelle and Carl (our house sitters) will be moving in tomorrow. We completely emptied the closets and cabinets in the master suite for them. Check out our closet:




It hasn't looked like that since we moved in more than ten years ago. We gave about half of our clothes to Goodwill and packed the other half in boxes. Carter's bedroom is now being used for storage, basically.

I have to say there is something really cathartic about getting rid of so much stuff. I went through every item of clothing I own, and if it wasn't going to get packed, I had to think, "In a year, will I want to take this out of a box and wear it again?" If the answer wasn't a definite yes, it was put in the charity box. And honestly, I think that about half of what I did keep will be given to charity in a year anyway. I still kept too much stuff.

And so, off we go!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations!
    Today is your day.
    You're off to Great Places!
    You're off and away!

    OH!
    THE PLACES YOU'LL GO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, it's nice to get rid of stuff, isn't it? We have so much junk - why in the world do we keep it?

    So excited!!!!

    ReplyDelete